Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scott's Review: The Green Hornet(2011)



Remakes. It's nothing new for Hollywood to remake movies, or make TV shows into movies. Green Hornet was a movie from the early 40s and a TV show in the late 60s,neither of which I saw, nor the movie based on the show in the 70's? I'm confused. My only previous knowledge of this franchise is Bruce Lee. So if you're a die hard fan of any of the previous Green Hornets, show or movies, and want to know how true to the "original" whatever you watched first is, stop here because I went to see this movie as most movies including this one and all it's predecessors of the same name were intended to do. Entertain.

3D. Another bug that has bitten Hollywood before and seems to come back every so often, I'd like to say that it gets better each time. So the question going into this movie was "will this be another completely unoriginal remake that just fails to entertain and succeeds in taking my money and a few extra bucks for the 3D?" Luckily, we have a few weapons on our side to fight the good fight.

In this corner, fighting against unoriginal and bland, recycled scripts, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. The writers of Pineapple Express and Superbad. Also in this corner, taking on forced, trite, overly done 3D: Michel Gondry, the director of many beautiful movies. So out of respect and appreciation for Gondry, I chose to spend the few extra dollars on 3D. I'd say it was worth it, but not necessarily required. The movie was very visually pleasing throughout and Michel Gondry puts his stamp on it, which is always in the plus column as far as I'm concerned. Not his best work, but one of the best for the masses as well as people who may not be familiar with, or appreciate his work. As far as the writing, it kept me in the movie and kept me laughing throughout. This movie pushed 2 hours and at no point did I check my watch(phone of course). It had the typical Seth Rogen that people pretend to be tired of and he is comediclly supplemented by the little Karate guy that is just
learning English. Oh and of course, there is a love triangle. Yet, It doesn't get old and consistently entertains unlike many other movies.

This movie is a January release which usually means that it isn't trying to win awards. It is not a summer blockbuster either. There aren't any "standout" performances, yet everyone does their job and each are completely believable in what roles they do play (including Christoph Waltz in his first role since his award winning 'Hans Landa' in Inglorious Basterds). At no point do I, as the viewer, feel like I paid too much, or like I'm wasting my time on this movie. It's a breath of fresh air (filled with fake butter, popcorn and old hotdogs) at the movies that just reminds me that movies are meant to entertain.

Green Hornet doesn't try too hard. Doesn't claim to be a typical super hero movie. Doesn't fit any stereotypical mold. It's simply meant to entertain you for the two hours that it is on screen and it succeeds in doing that. Unlike some other January "filler" movies, it makes you feel like your money and time were well spent, even with the extra cost of 3D. And to quote a friend, "There is a reason they sell popcorn at the movies"(Editors note: That friend was ME!).

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment